The Summer Village of Gull Lake is located on the south shore of Gull Lake and is the oldest Summer Village in Alberta. Homesteaders first settled in this region around 1895, and the Village was officially incorporated in March 1913.
Traditionally, Summer Villages grew from “Summer Resort” areas. Their residents were predominately summer residents or cottagers. Some of today's cottagers are descendants of the first owners. There are stories and memories passed down from the early days of the Summer Village about the men and women who built the hotels, managed the first stores, provided the ice and wood, and those who went up and down the back lane to sell milk, butter, vegetables, chickens, and home baking.
Today many of the old summer cottages are being replaced by permanent residences. However, some of the original cottages remain and are over 100 years old.